Monday, June 15, 2009

At the End of the 100-Mile Wilderness

The "100-mile wilderness" is really 100 miles where you have no easy opportunity to resupply. The "wilderness" part is pushing it. You're never really that far away from people. I remember one time my friend Adam said something to the effect of "Isn't this great? Out here in the wilderness, nobody around, miles away from any town, any road..." and a pick-up drove by on a logging road off to our right that we hadn't seen.

It is suggested that you take at least 10 days worth of food with you, and large warnings are posted on each end of the 100 mile stretch. Near the end of the trail, many of my mates were doing shots of honey, scarfing down granola, and looking at their hiking partners with hungry eyes. Fred and I fared well.

It took us 9 days to get through it, and at the end, Fred, Vickie and I had a homey stay at the Lakeshore house in Monson, ME, complete with kayaking on Lake Hebron. In an excerpt from an email I sent while I was there I wrote:

"Just had a shower. Oh, it was AMAZING. Little things, doors, carpet, 'inside' mean so much right now."

In fact, if there were a club called, "The Karrie Loves You Club." You could be a life long member by giving Karrie a shower when she passes through your area. Really. Showers are the stuff friends are made of.

The next morning we had breakfast at Shaws (see photo, from left to right: Tom, Travis, and Fred). I ordered a "3" at Shaws--3 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, 3 sausages, and 3 pancakes. I think Adam ordered a 7.

We hit the trail again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment